Hello, my name is Dr Nick Young. I am an engineer by education with a career in teaching, training and web developing. In addition I also write magazine articles on computing topics as well as being a keen local historian with several books published. My spare time involves teaching Heartstart and Call Push Rescue (CPR, defibrillators and other first aid skills) for FREE to the local community.
In 2013 I established Heartstart Thatcham which teaches, for free, Emergency Life Support (ELS) to members of the public. This is done in the form of the British Heart Foundations Heartstart and Call Push Rescue schemes. In addition to this the team also raises funds for and places defibrillators around the region.
I am, or have been, actively involved in various other community groups and activities. This includes having been the chairman of Thatcham Historical Society, for which I also run the website (www.thatchamhistoricalsociety.org.uk). In addition I also ran the Peter Allen Memorial Lectures (PAML), which started in 2010 and closed in 2014, raising money for the British Heart Foundation (BHF) in memory of Peter. I was involved with Thatcham Vision since its inception in 2005 until it disbanded in 2017 having sat on the steering group and executive group, I was vice chair and also provided IT support but perhaps more importantly for me, heritage views.
I obtained a PhD with research conducted in the Signal and Image Processing Group (SIPG) at the University of Bath. My main research involved developing noise reduction and preprocessing methods for digital images and video using Mathematical Morphology. The research also delved into 'Psycho-visually Lossless' preprocessing for digital images. Whilst at university, I also became a Member of the Institution of Engineering and Technology (MIET).
- N. Young, 'Newbury 365', LuLu, October 2015
- N. Young, 'Newbury Then and Now', Stroud: The History Press, August 2013.
- N. Young, 'Thatcham Then and Now', Stroud: The History Press, July 2012.
- P. Allen, S. Broughton, T. Higgott and N. Young, 'Thatcham: an historic town in a changing world', Thatcham: Thatcham Historical Society, October 2009.
- N. Young and A. N. Evans, 'Spatio-temporal attribute morphology filters for noise reduction in image sequences', in Proceedings International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP), September 2003.
- N. Young and A. N. Evans, 'Digital video preprocessing with multi-dimensional attribute morphology', in Proceedings IEE Visual Information Engineering Conference (VIE), Guildford, Surrey, UK, July 2003, pp.89 - 92.
- N. Young and A. N. Evans, 'Image Noise Reduction using Attribute Morphology Filters', Proceedings IEEE EURASIP Workshop on Nonlinear Signal and Image Processing , Grado, Italy, June 2003.
- N. Young and A. N. Evans, 'Psycho-visually tuned area-morphology tools for improved image compression', in Proc. International Symposium on Mathematical Morphology (ISMM), Manly, Sydney, Australia, pp. 185-195, April 2002.
- N. Young and A. N. Evans, 'A median centred difference gradient operator and its application in watershed segmentation', in Electronics Letters, 47 (3), February 2011, pp.178 - 180.
- N. Young and A. N. Evans, 'Psychovisually tuned attribute operators for pre-processing digital video', in Journal of Vision, Image &Signal Processing (VISP), 150(5), October 2003, pp. 277 - 286.
- N. Young, 'An introduction to Content Management Systems', Micro Mart, 2010
- N. Young, 'Network Protocols: An Introduction', Micro Mart, Issue 1085, December 2009
- N. Young, 'Introduction to Digital Compression', Micro Mart, Issue 1083, November 2009
- N. Young, 'The Mega-ITX project', CustomPC, December 2005
In addition I have written numerous articles on computing, local (Thatcham and Newbury) history and first aid for local magazines including Thatcham Town Guide, Thatcham Connections, Buzz Magazine and Out & About.